Halfway thru 2021 and here I am.

The sun is shining for a brief moment. It has been a wet July and another long COVID year. So I have set my my sweet little outdoor table in the direct sunlight, filled my big thermal mug with loose leaf earl grey tea, chosen clothes that utilise the powerful heat absorption potentials of a navy and wool. Mmmm I’m cosy and outside (and dry for a change).

I went down to Perth this week to get a vaccine in my arm. I Was standing in a big but weirdly moving line for a Pfizer jab. The opportunity was made available 7 weeks ago, and 5 hours into the opening, the earliest available option I could get was July 22. I booked in at 2:55 but have to be prescreened first at the mass vac centre down near the airport. It is chockers. Not too mush social distancing either. As a human who had been quite happy with this community effort, I find rooms full I’d people a little untasteful to my personal self.

They have a grid of people waiting on chairs.
8 rows 10 columns. And every 5 minutes there is a literal human Mexican wave of people moving forward to the next row.

I prove I am me, and that I’m ok with having this concoction injected into my arm and join the Mexican wave chair hopping dance. Between leap frogging chairs, I have my iPad and Apple Pencil working on an artwork in procreate.

I get to the front of the columns… and I listen to the ushers chatting about the volume of walk-ins wanting to utilise no show appointments. There are a growing number of people showing up each day.
Meanwhile the news reports that wa is the least vaccinated state of all. I feel as if the country I live in going a little bit mad. I’m here because I live with the hope, desire impatience and pain of one day being able to have a cup of tea with my NSW family in person. I’m here because someone has be first(ish). I’m here because I am privileged enough to be able to drive 98 km to get a needle, knowing that plenty in my community will have to wait until the needle comes closer to them.

In goes the needle and it’s back round to the waiting and monitoring bay for 15mins. A nurse asks if I feel fine as I book my next dose. The website tells me there’s one available closer to home sometime in August.

And I leave.

No not sure why I had to be 15 mins early. The needle went in at 3:15 not 2:55. It’s a good 1.5 hour drive home so I get some fuel and head off. Radio tuned to Perth ABC drive.

My boots were on, but I’m missing my hat… and I’m missing the time when news was not filled with news about the virus that will be the one history talks about. But forwards we must March on.

Day 18 #100daychallenge

I’m calling another break day. It would appear that my Mondays are so big that my resolve to conduct this challenge is rocked for the Monday Tuesday and possibly a bit of the Wednesday night as well.

Unfortunately I have had three rather large days two of which have been at the Roadhouse. Couple with the large days throw in some very hot Australian summer days and me being tired and the farmer been insanely busy I find myself struggling to donate 10 minutes even of my time to the creative business pursuits. I have had some very big ideas that I’m exploring and some very big compliments that point to myself being a very responsible adult. I am a reliable team member, I am helping to build up all the team members. Those two tasks require lots of social energy from me. And my brain is working incredibly hard on processing numbers and data that it does not need to process like; of all things, the Covid numbers coming out of America. Why? Because my brain likes numbers. The question that I then have to ask myself is am I feeding my brain well enough? Should I go and get more education? And why not?

Enter two lambs who are in need of medical attention: One limpy and one hoppy. Should I get an education in veterinary science to help fix these two lambs? Or am I better off getting some education in the area of mathematics/statistics. I don’t know.

Limpy (previously LambLam or one of the Stew-its)

So on Wednesday afternoon after work, I raced to the swimming pool so that I could do my 40 laps in the pool, which equates to 1 km (just in case you needed to know). The aim being to process some of all that pent up consideration. Naturally I check the mail on the way home from the pool and picked up these three shirts. So I suddenly realised I had fulfilled my task for the blog and the challenge as these shirts will be having the circle skirt put on them in hopes that I can send them to my niece and get good photos to further the “dressmaking” business.

Day 9 #100daychallenge

Ok. I’m using my get out of jail free card for the week. Every week, I set aside just a small bit of money as savings for buying the items/gear/stuff for my hopeful business. I’m saving for way too many things on this particular tiny savings fund: a shipping container, office space on the farm, printers, fabrics and shirts. Way too many things.

So why am I not blogging over on paperthumbtack today? I record it here cos it’s not really art stuff but it still counts as part of the challenge. 100 days of trying to progress my business dreams. I have a few ideas.

More recently, I’ve asked myself if I can resell upcycled rubbish.

Like a catering size mayonnaise container, cleaned up and sold as bulk food storage containers for flour in a small family kitchen.

Or a 12Lwaterbottle that becomes a slow release water dripped as shown below.

Anyway, these are all part of the challenge. I was just too busy to draw today running mad with a bumper day at work and a trip to the grocery afterwards.

Day 2 #100dayschallenge

The internet can be a place where we get sucked into the worm hole of procrastination and distraction, a time numbing warp of nothing much. It gets me more often than I’d like to admit. 

The internet can also be an inspiring place. Every year there is a non specific group of humans who commit to engaging in a challenge known as the #100dayschallenge. The premise being that to become proficient at a task or activity we must do it repeatedly. Some paint, some draw others craft or play an instrument. Some event commit to reading books more. 

I’ve looked on often wishing I could at least have a go. And finally this year I think I might have found a way to do the challenge I’m a manor that suits me; 100 days of sharing how I’m trying to grow. I’m going to Grow my business ideas. Grow my sewing skills, grow my artwork sets, grow my confidence in larger art, grow my savings for business set up costs. Just grow. And hopefully I’ll share it all with you my audience either here or over on bootsnhaton.com according to where the growth fits. 

Today, I showed up and put the ground work in for this challenge over on paperthumbtack.com. The text above comes from my art blog. I sat in the storeroom at work where I was on break and hiding from the world, and I put into words the idea that had been mulling for days. 

Once I got home from my 5am-1pm shift, WA experienced yet another emergency: a fire half way between us and Perth that escalated very quickly. I was exhausted already from very little sleep wrapping my mind around this new round of Perth’s lockdown, and from dealing with people at work all day too, and glued to the radio and internet watching a horrible fire unfold. No time to engage with the challenge. 

However, I did ask the station cooks Facebook group for ideas for creative toasties. I had sold a bacon chicken cheese pineapple and bbq sauce toastie at work. So I was feeling bold. Here are the suggestions that piqued my interest:

  • Vegemite onion and cheese
  • Jam cheese and ham/bacon
  • Banana cheese and bacon 
  • Corn cheese and chicken 
  • Mushrooms and cheese 
  • Use aioli instead of Mayo 
  • Corn chips salsa cheese and mince
  • 2 minute noodles and cheese 
  • Try using sundried tomato 
  • Tuna Mayo and cheese
  • Grated apple almonds and chocolate 
  • Salami and cheese
  • Roasties: leftover roast meat veg and cheese esp with pumpkin.

I also made vegetarian patties for dinner. Lentils, carrot, zucchini, potatoes egg, breadcrumbs, seasoning and deep fried then baked.

An update

In august, Parker and I made a quick dash down to Manjimup for a holiday. It was a snap decision made to fit in some time away before getting too caught up in the remaining farm work.

Since then, Nola has had puppies, I had a lovely birthday, I started a new job in Goomalling, and I’m madly trying to get some art and dry good bulk supple business off the ground on top of moving residence from the shed to the shipping box.

My birthday cake
Mable, Emu, sally, nipper and wombat pup

The oat crop; I’m squatting down a bit
I made the special in September for the cafe
Preparing sandwiches for Goomalling job

Thursday… finally a “day to myself”…

Bahahahahah! Yeah right!

First thing is utilise as much of the miniscule amount of sunshine we’ve had this week to get some bore water. Two loads for the tank as a back up for next week, and a third for spraying next Tuesday.

Naturally, things that I might think will take a short time take three times longer and at 2 pm I gave up on the water collection and moved on the the next task for the day: Sewing. I did some alterations to some mens shirts. I hav found it’s cheaper to but mens flannel shirts, get some extra flannel from Spot light and insert a “gusset” into the sides cos I have hips and guys general don’t…. and apparently women don’t need to be warm. Suddenly Wham! the day is done and I’m scrambling to get dinner made for the chef, put Lam-Lambs away and stay warm.

Getting the other side of the lambs to herd them into the yards.
The oats are taller than the dog
Rock-it demanding her dinner immediately: it was carrots.